Monday, 6 July 2026

Life as It Was: A nostalgic Visit to Maribo open-air museum, Denmark


Visiting open-air museums is one of my favorite pastimes. I visit all those I can find, and lately, I re-visited a small but lovely museum in Maribo on the island of Lolland.

A picnic bag was packed, and while we sat at one of the tables enjoying sandwiches, coffee, and cake, the resident hens and a single cockerel were very interested onlookers.

The atmosphere was so calm and lovely, and – since we had brought Gussi the dog – we took turns looking inside the houses. I visited one where a wedding was being prepared; in another house hung yarn dyed with plants from the garden. And whilst I was studying the displays, an old clock was ticking loudly with its tock... tock... tock.

The small gardens outside the houses were filled with bee-friendly flowers, and along one – to my surprise – fuchsia bushes were growing in a long row. A hop plant was climbing vigorously, aiming to reach the top of a stake, and a pleased sound from one of the hens suggested the laying of an egg.

We had such a nice day. Do visit this place if you visit Lolland. And maybe you would like to take a look at my YouTube video right here below: